This year brought about my first vegan Shrove Tuesday which was an unhealthy, yet delicious success! A lot of vegan pancake recipes that I found online either used fruit and tried to be healthy, or resulted in American style pancakes that were too stodgy to be able to eat twenty of in one sitting. Whilst I generally try to have a healthy lifestyle, I am a firm believer in treat foods being proper treats rather than healthy emulations, so whilst I will often choose a healthy option over an unhealthy one, if I want an indulgent dessert, indulgent it shall be.
After scouring different blogs, combining recipes, and many experimental flat puddings I have finally created a recipe that for me at least is unfailing. It will give you a tall stack of crepes within 15 minutes, and has the seal of approval from my carnivorous family which I feel is a good sign for sure.
- 2 Cups of plain flour
- 4 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 Teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2.5 Cups of almond milk
- 1.5 Tablespoons of oil
- Coconut oil for cooking (obviously optional but gives them a nice sweet coating rather than them just seeming a bit greasy which has always been a pancake issue for me)
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Mix the wet ingredients together
- Whisk the liquid in to the dry mixture creating a smooth batter
- Heat a pan with coconut oil
- Once the oil has reached a high enough temperature pour the batter in until there is a thin layer lining the pan
- When the batter is cooked through flip the pancake and brown until satisfied
Voila, crepes all round 🙂